Thursday, February 26, 2015

Documentation

On this snow day, Evie and I lay together on the couch. She is on my chest, asleep and content and I am on my laptop, somehow comfortable and able to type. The last few days I have been noticing all these little things about Evie that make me want to write them down. But for some reason I cannot. Maybe I just dont have the right notebook or I can't seem to find the time. So even though this isn't my keepsake baby book, I have access to it at a time when I can still think of some of these moments.
So without further ado, for Evie:

1. Watching you sleep is the best thing in the world. You let your little mouth hang open just a bit and your sweet breath comes out in little puffs. Sometimes the corners of your mouth pull back, giving you the happiest of grins. Even better, you have a mirthful laugh that starts as a tiny giggle. My heart explodes when you do this. I wish you could always be this small and content.

2. The other day I had you in my arms and you were gazing up at me with all the wonder you could muster. I looked back at you and popped my lips. You smiled. I did it a few more times as you looked on. Then you started opening and closing your mouth. You were trying to do it too! Talk about an incredible feeling. I clicked my tongue and watched as you moved your tongue around in your mouth trying to imitate. I cried, you know. Watching you figure out life in the tiniest ways does that to me.

3. You are probably the only baby I know that actually appreciates her mobile. In fact, you love that thing so much, I'm pretty sure you consider it a third parent. Each night as we lay you down, you turn your eyes up to it and smile. When we twist the knob and the music starts, your eyes widen with wonder and amazement. When it gets going, you start talking to it. Maybe you are singing along? Telling it a story? Expressing your love? Who knows. One thing is for certain: its a necessary part of bedtime.

4. Right now you've accepted that baths are a part of life. You don't mind having your face wiped, as long as you're warm, the tub is not the enemy. This is great. Now if only we could get you on board with the booger aspirator.

5. Company is a must for you. I don't know how I will ever get back to work since every time I am not in your line of sight (and Daddy is not around), you turn on the water works. It breaks my heart.

6. Speaking of water works....last night Daddy went outside with the dogs. When he came back in, his hands were pretty cold and he joked about putting them on your tummy. Well, being the terrible mommy I apparently am, I thought, "cold sensation, this can be a learning experience!" and I put Daddy's hands down on your tummy. Your eyes got wiiiiiide and you took a moment, but then the saddest pout ever began and was followed by a heartbreaking cry. Well of course I felt awful. I held you and patted your back, offered you comfort nursing and the whole shebang. You got over it pretty quickly. I am still dealing with my emotions for having made you cry. I am still so sorry.


So that is all I can think of right now, but for the sake of organization, You are 8 weeks and one day old today. Maybe I will have a list per week?

8 weeks old 

Clockwise from top left: 1 hour old, 2 weeks old, four weeks old, 7 weeks old and 8 weeks old in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment