Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Free Dog

Yesterday I mourned the loss of a set of pumping parts. Specifically the breastshield, connector and a nice, big, expensive Medela bottle.
I had left the house around noon to take Gavin to work and to bring a diaper cake of newborn-sized diapers to a woman who needed them since Evie never wore that size even from birth. I was doing a good thing! Karma, where were you!?
I ran a few other errands and visited my mom and grandma and had lunch with them and my brother. I finally made it back home with Evie in tow a little after 4pm. I opened the door and was greeted by both of my dogs, all happy and cheerful and even though Syd was carrying his stuffed animal pelt (I'll explain that in a minute), he didn't mind running right up and stuffing his nose in Evie's face and giving us both the sniff-down. 
I checked the kitchen and living room to see if he had pulled a diaper out of the trash, but both were clear. I sat on the couch with Evie and let her nurse away the anxiety that comes with riding in the car and not being an inch away from me.
When she was done I went to go get the pump since I'm also donating milk to a lady in town who can't produce enough. I go to the bedroom where the pump was left the night before and discover that Syd has stolen a bottle with the attached shield and connector and chewed them all to pieces on the bed. Here is the aftermath, gathered:
RIP 
Naturally, I lost my shit. 
Well, I would have, if Evie hadn't been in the house. Instead I chased Syd outside and locked him out in the (fenced-in) yard until Gavin came home. I tried to salvage what I could. The yellow piece that the membrane connects to somehow survived but the breastshield was chewed just enough to not work and be extremely painful when tried. 
When Gavin got home I told him Syd would have to be crated if he was allowed back in. And not just while we're gone, but for the rest of the night. I couldn't look at him, I wanted to kill him. But I love animals and could never, yadda yadda yadda. Still. 
This morning I let him out of the crate after getting an earful of whimpers all night. He looked really apologetic so I forgave him. 
I was lucky enough to meet another mom on facebook who had a similar problem, but instead of 27mm shields being chewed, she had her 24mm ones destroyed by her pup. I have an extra set of 24mm I've never used, so we are going to trade. Yay for the internet! And another mom donated a big Medela bottle to me from her set, which she no longer uses since they are beyond the breastfeeding age.
So it all worked out in the end, but I did keep finding little pieces of plastic in the bed last night. And in case you're wondering, no none of it was actually eaten by my idiot dog. We were able to piece together the remains and concluded this morning that he was just being a jerk.
Also I should add that I have to take some responsibility because I left the bottle and pump parts within reach in the bassinet beside our bed. (You know, the one that was supposed to be for Evie but she refuses to sleep in so it's been a catch-all for midnight diapers and all the random stuff that accumulates with babies that co-sleep). 

And before I forget...Syd's stuffed animal pelt/any stuffed animal he hasn't yet gutted: he likes to carry these around when he knows he's done something wrong. Sort of a last-ditch "you-can't-hurt-me-in-front-of-my-baby!" effort. He occasionally uses them as a security blanket, but mostly for sympathy. He's a weirdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment