Sunday, August 30, 2015

8 Months Eve

My sweet Babygirl,
You are asleep on my lap, head draped over my forearm, forcing me to type this at an extremely awkward angle. I would rather lose circulation in my hand than put you down. 
Today you took extra-long to take a nap. Was it because we got to sleep in some today? Maybe you still can't adjust to lunch out on Sundays. You closed your eyes in the car on the way to the Asian Market, so I know you were tired. You rubbed your eyes in the hammock and rolled around the living room floor grumbling to yourself. You always grumble when you're sleepy. 
I tried nursing you, as I always do, but you bit me and clawed at my breasts. You were hungry, but you're cutting your top front teeth and it feels good to clamp down. The clawing is because you find it amusing to see me wince. Thinking it was too hot since we have turned off the A/C for the season, I stripped you down to just your diaper. It helped, but I think turning off the light made more of a difference. 
Daddy brought the fan in and I moved to the Poang chair with you. I laid you across my lap with the now-rarely-used boppy pillow and tried once more to get a good latch. You had begun to whimper at me by then, so I knew it was imperative that I get you comfortable before it turned into a full-on meltdown. I've gotten pretty good at reading you.
Just now you lifted your head and let out a mournful wail. You're asleep, though, so even though it breaks my heart, I let you be. You snuggled right back up to my chest and it was as if you never stirred at all.
I feel like time is flitting through my fingers. I guess every mom feels that way, but you are growing so big and so fast. I can't seem to come to terms with it. You're pulling up on everything now with such ease that you'd think there was never a time you could not. You're beginning to show some backbone, challenging me when I stop you from grabbing a cord or eating my shoes. You are strong-willed, but sweet. Your forehead boops make my days. I dont stand a chance against your mischievous grin after you bite me. And I could stare at you for hours on end while you sleep without once getting bored. 
Dinner is ready and I'm going to have to attempt some stealthy maneuvers in order to eat and not wake you up. At least if I do wake you up, I'll get to see your pretty smile.
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment